Header Ads Widget

New York City Mayor Eric Adams Indicted on Federal Charges

 

New York City Mayor Eric Adams is now facing federal criminal charges, according to reports from CBS News and its partner, the BBC. The 64-year-old mayor, who took office nearly three years ago with a focus on reducing crime, has been under increasing scrutiny, along with several of his top aides, amid multiple federal corruption investigations.

While the specific charges remain under wraps, the indictment marks a historic moment as Adams becomes the first sitting mayor of New York City to be charged with a crime. In a video statement released Wednesday, Adams, who has denied any wrongdoing, vowed to fight the charges, insisting on his innocence. He called on New Yorkers for "prayers and patience" and expressed his intention to request a swift trial to clear his name.I will fight these injustices with every ounce of my strength and spirit," Adams declared in the video, adding, "I am innocent." He also addressed the growing calls for his resignation, stating, "Many may say I should resign... but I can manage the city while fighting these accusations. I’ve been dealing with these lies for months.

The indictment is expected to be unsealed on Thursday, followed by Adams' first court appearance. This development comes less than a year after federal agents seized the mayor’s electronic devices and searched the home of Brianna Suggs, his chief fundraiser. Prosecutors are reportedly investigating whether Adams' 2021 mayoral campaign accepted illegal donations funneled through the Turkish government. Additional subpoenas have been issued to his campaign and office for information related to potential ties with five other countries: Israel, China, Qatar, South Korea, and Uzbekistan.


Despite growing political pressure, including from US Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who urged him to step down, Adams remains determined to stay in office. "I do not see how Mayor Adams can continue governing New York City," Ocasio-Cortez wrote on X, citing a recent wave of resignations that she believes jeopardizes the city's leadership.

t-align: left;"> 

Post a Comment

0 Comments